Decluttering and minimal-izing my home is such a gift and privilege. I only allow myself 20 mins a day or I may not stop or even worst: not get joy from it!
It’s so freeing and satisfying!
Some of the rules I abide by ( self imposed rules that challenge me) are:
- Set timer for 20 mins
- Start on one shelf or drawer
- Try to get rid of 100 items ( trash, paper, loose tack, etc.)
- Know what the function of the micro area is , it it doesn’t belong , immediately go and put it in logical area even if that area has not been organized yet
- When the timer goes off , 1-2 mins tidy up
- Always label , label , label. Never assume that I can remember where things belong.
- After area is completely minimal, functional and quality wipe down shelves, vacuum drawers or scrub walls.
- Place tiny garbage can ( to prevent future tiny clutter) and any cleaning supplies needed for that area in there
Getting rid of 100 tiny things a day is such a challenge !
Some days it’s much less like 20 items and some days it’s close to 200!
But regardless the number I get to
I am satisfied in knowing everything left in the area is functional, quality and should be there.
Areas I have tackled in the 100 item toss:
- Changing table area
- Baby’s clothes and accessories
- Junk drawer
- Entertainment center
- My small closet
- My bathroom
- Living room closet
What you are left with is a clean, manageable area that you are happy to keep clean and a joy to see! Taking pride in our homes, belongings and Gods blessings.
To me this is Getting rid of the gluttony of possessions that can so easily make us ill.