Where did Saints learn and study? How do they reach these levels of holiness?
Answer : At the Foot of the Cross
It is very good and holy to consider the passion of our Lord, and to meditate on it, for by this sacred path we reach union with God. In this most holy school we learn true wisdom, for it was there that all the saints learned it.
Therefore, be constant in practicing every virtue, and especially in imitating the patience of our dear Jesus, for this is the summit of pure love. Live in such a way that all may know that you bear outwardly as well as inwardly the image of Christ crucified, the model of all gentleness and mercy. For if a man is united inwardly with the Son of the living God, he also bears his likeness outwardly by his continual practice of heroic goodness, and especially through a patience reinforced by courage, which does not complain either secretly or in public. Conceal yourselves in Jesus crucified, and hope for nothing except that all men be thoroughly converted to his will. – from a letter by Saint Paul of the Cross.
Today is Friday. A perfect day for this. The day of the week that Jesus was crucified. Though the world says to party Because TGIF!!
Heaven maybe calling us to something different.
Today can be a day of fasting and meditation on the passion .
- abstaining from food, or other pleasures. I usually like to fast on bread and water until Lunch. ( I do drink coffee)
- Some people eat nothing until 3 pm
- Some people can not fast from food so the give up social media or internet till 3pm
- The church encourages giving up meat on Fridays.
Ways to Meditate of the passion :
- Set an alarm on your phone for 3pm (the exact time of Jesus death) and pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy .
- Pray the sorrowful mysteries of the Rosary.
- First sorrowful mystery: The Agony of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemene (picture Jesus)
- 2nd Mystery to meditate on is: The Scourging at the Pillar ( fruit of the mystery is purification)
- 3rd Mystery : Crowning of Thorns (fruit of the mystery is humility) I like to really think about this when praying for people with seizures, and depression.
- 4th Mystery: Carrying of the Cross (fruit of the mystery is perseverance)
- 5th Mystery : The Crucifixion